15 August 2008

The Silver Lining

So it's been over a week since I heard the news about Edwards, and while it still stings, and likely will for a very long time, I've finally found a slight silver lining to it all.

Although I'm still uncertain and questioning the family's decision to enter the race, knowing their secret and that, if they got the nomination, the nation would be subjected to four more years of GOP bullshit, I can still see the good that came of it all. The same good that I consoled myself with when Edwards lost Iowa, and then again when he conceded. He pushed the Democrats' agenda to be more progressive. He's the reason we know that Obama's health care plan sucks, he's the reason we know about all the veterans sleeping under bridges, and middle-aged Americans who empty their 401K's to cover what their health care won't. He's the reason that people are finally standing up and rejecting lobbyist funding, and the reason Barack Obama can now talk about the issues, and not just his rhetoric of hope. So thanks for that, John. Despite every other negative feeling I have regarding your candidacy and the irreparable damage you've done to your family, thanks for pushing this agenda in the right direction, and America in the right direction.

Sigh. Still upset, but I have to start somewhere with the healing process.

No comments: