So, after having been almost entirely unable (or unwilling when I was able) to catch up on the summer's political news, I've made a quest in the past few days to get back on track and in the game. Diving back into the news after such a break has put an interesting perspective on things, and made making generalizations about the happenings of the entire summer surprisingly easy. Here's a list of what I've concluded upon my return.
- The possibility of gaining 10 seats in the senate is a lot better than anyone would guess (check CQ's Senate Ratings Chart if you don't believe me... and who REALLY thinks Craig's seat is Safe Republican??)
- If the GOP doesn't pick up a single seat from a Democrat, I wouldn't be surprised in the least.
- By waiting to announce his running mate until Obama does so, McCain is allowing Obama to define the tone and demeanor of this race, despite his intentions to steal Obama's thunder after the announcement.
- McCain is increasingly old and generally useless, yet the Democrats have yet to take full advantage of their opponent's suckiness. I realize timing on attack ads is crucial, but it shouldn't be that hard- just get him while he's napping.
- Slick Willie STILL has yet to master the art of sitting down and shutting up (although if I were making 10 mil a year giving speeches, I don't know that I'd be too bothered, either).
- Something big is a stirring in the landscape. Evidence to support this theory includes:
- A Democrat is leading by 21 points in the Senate Race in Alaska.
- John McCain is leading by an average of only about 10 points in Texas.
- John McCain is back on his haunches in Arizona.
The heading of this section could also be: Democrats: prepare for a sweep of epic proportions in both the House and Senate. 2006 was just a small preview of what's to come. Obama is going to win, and completely redefine everything we thought we knew about red states and blue states.
That's all the insight I've got for now, but more will surely come when I turn on the TV. These are all observations made strictly from the net.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment